Thursday, June 21, 2012

More Succor Creek Jasper

Succor Creek Picture Jasper
I've been home from Owyhee country for two weeks, and am starting to get some of this material polished. These are probably not the most dramatic picture jasper pieces I've ever seen, but they have a wonderful variety of color and pattern.  I am also very pleased with some of the petrified wood that came from the trip.

I have much, much more to go through - and some will be reserved for the day - one day - when I actually buy a saw, and cut some slabs. I have hesitated to invest in a saw up until now because 1) they are expensive and 2) because I have no interest in making jewelry. I really only do this for the pleasure of discovery and the beauty of what emerges after simple tumbling. In every hobby there is the inevitable choice - do I keep this casual, or invest in more equipment with some larger goal.  Frankly, I'm not there yet.  But as I find larger, better pieces, I will be tempted to cut slabs from them - if only to enjoy the larger canvas for the art of the stone.


No comments:

Post a Comment