Sunday, June 10, 2012

Buying vs. Finding

Kaleidoscope Jasper
 So, here's the question: is there a difference between finding and buying a rock?  Quick answer: I'd rather find my own. For me, a big part of the pleasure of rockhounding is the hounding itself -- the research, the hunt, the sudden thrill of discovery. The intensity of this pleasure is reflected in the vast boxes and bins filled with rocks waiting to be polished or sawn, or somehow dealt with. I collect WAY more than I will ever find a use, or a place, for.. .

This doesn't mean I haven't spent an embarrassing amount of time on eBay, drooling over gorgeous pieces of stone that someone else has found and offered up for sale. I have even bought a few. But there is no comparison between finding one in a Priority Mail box and finding one on a gravel bar, beach or cliffside.  I can admire the rocks I buy, but lost are the memories, the stories, the sense of accomplishment.  To me it's the difference between catching a salmon, and buying one at the market for dinner. (OK, there are weaknesses to that comparison - rocks stay with you long after the salmon dinner is done)

I suspect everyone's a little different on that score. I can fully understand the value of wanting to collect the most beautiful specimens in the world. After all, it is the extraordinary beauty, and astonishing diversity, of rocks that attracts us to this hobby in the first place. Want to see an amazing collection of jasper?

Go to Hans Gamma's site here

or be blown away by the Morrisonite slabs here


Yes, I would be happy to own any of those. But I would be even happier if I'd FOUND one of those. 

-----

Note : the piece pictured above is from a box of Kaleidoscope Jasper rough I ordered last year. Polished, it is a thing of beauty - but does it compare with some far less exotic things I have found myself? Not even close.

No comments:

Post a Comment