Saturday, April 7, 2012

Treasures of the Conveyor Belt


I have posted many times about the diversity of rock types found along Puget Sound beaches - but I thought this picture tells the story pretty well. These are all stones found within a mile or so of my house and include jasper, agate and petrified wood (inc. the black thing in back) This is pretty typical, though it takes time to find this stuff among the millions of cobbles that line our shores. Still, I would argue that the rock diversity here is as high as any location in the world, largely because of the glaciers that carried stone from locations all over the NW region and kindly dropped them at our doorstep...

(Full disclosure: though found on the local beaches, these puppies have been tumbled and polished at home..)

1 comment:

  1. I have posted many times about the diversity of rock types found along Puget Sound beaches - but I thought this picture tells the story pretty well. overhead conveyors

    ReplyDelete