Saturday, April 7, 2012

Finding Jade...?


For some time, I have wondered how to identify jade in the field, especially because the literature suggests it comes in many colors and forms. There is plenty of jade in the Pacific Northwest, so there are almost certainly pieces of it on the Puget Sound beaches I normally patrol.  I found this one a few days ago, and the brilliant color jumped out at me, even in the drizzling rain.  It has the translucence associated with jade, and does not scratch with a steel knife - but how do you know?  More importantly, does it matter?  This will eventually polish into a handsome specimen, jade or not. Still, it would be nice to know.  Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Jade is a complex metamorphic rock. The Chinese used the softer Jadeite for much carving; but here in PNW we have super hard Nepherite, My "jade comes from a ancient Pacific Suduction zone in eastern Oregon and it can have a hardness of 8 like Spinel! Baked very hard and last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FN - Thanks for your note. I know there is jade (Nephrite) around but I have a devil of a time recognizing it when I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I live on whidbey island near coupeville. I can identify some jade if youd like some help in person

    ReplyDelete