Friday, June 14, 2013

Out of the Tumbler

Beach Cobbles, San Simeon, CA
As I posted back in March, I spent a pretty mind-blowing day collecting on the beaches near San Simeon, California, on my way up the coast. Why was it so great?  Because nearly every rock on the beaches there is of something interesting, whether a brecciated jasper, or an interesting agate, or some things that I don't even know the names for. But whatever they are, they have loads of color and striking patterns and polish beautifully in the tumbler.

They do especially well in the tumbler since they are already well-rounded by the wave action. In fact, I usually skip the first coarse grit step in the polishing process and go directly to the finer 120/220 silicon carbide.

I'm still processing rocks I found months ago, and by the time I'm done, it'll be time to head South again to find some more!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your blog. I was first here while doing a search for chert from the Monterey Formation. I recently rediscovered you blog while doing a search for San Simeon jasper. Small web, eh? If you're ever in the San Simeon area again check out Pico Creek. You can park on the side of the highway and climb down to the beach. It's a great spot for jasper and there's some interesting fish traps that the Chumash used by the pylons for the old bridge.

    I'm from Los Osos/Morro Bay but currently live in Humboldt so I'm quite familiar with many of the rocks you've shown. I must say, I'm quite impressed by your photos. I guess that's why you're the professional.

    I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. It's appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - Thanks for your comment. I haven't done much with the blog for months now, but it's great to know I get an occasional visitor. Thanks for the suggestion of Pico Creek - I'll take a look next time I'm down that way!

    ReplyDelete