Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Beach Surprise : "Plume Agate?"

Beach agate, West Seattle
It's been a while since I was out on the beaches near home - blame it on cold weather and too many buckets already full of rocks, waiting for the polisher.

But on a handsome sunny winter day, I hit the beaches near Alki Point. I am always attracted by color and design, but especially if there is any sense of transparency, e.g. that glass-like quality that suggests "agate."

Here's one I found yesterday, an already well-rounded, naturally polished agate. My first thought was that it was what is known as a plume agate, in which impurities grow into the quartz often in lovely, lacy patterns. But when I took a close look at this, it does not have the typical "plume" patterns, but instead appears to be some sort of brecciated rock into which quartz has filled the gaps. Hard to tell what the green stuff is, but it's clearly fractured and shattered. Now, of course, it is suspended in the quartz matrix. Not sure what to call it, but it's handsome nonetheless.


2 comments:

  1. very cool pics; I pick up allot of rocks on seattle beaches. It would be interesting to see before and after pics as I dont know anything about polishing. Checking out your blog makes me wonder how many potentially great rocks I'm passing up as I only grab the specimens that look good dry on the beach [or with a quick behind the ear].

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - Sorry, I didn't see your comment until now. I started tumbling a while ago, just to see and appreciate the patterns in the rock that are really only visible when they've been polished. One thing: I often walk the beaches on a falling tide, when the rocks along the edge are still wet (or, of course, when it's raining...:)) When rocks are wet they show their true colors. Tumbling them just makes that permanent...

    ReplyDelete