Thursday, September 27, 2012

First Creek Jasper

Jasper, First Creek
There is a well-known location for agate and geodes in First Creek canyon, on the Blewitt Pass highway north of Ellensburg.  (see:  http://happyrockhound.blogspot.com/2011/05/first-creek.html)  I have passed by there several times on my way other places, but have never really explored the upper parts of the watershed. However, earlier this year, I did poke around the lower creek a bit, on the assumption that rocks wash downhill...

One of my finds was a weathered brownish lump that revealed just a hint of patterning inside. On a hunch, I tossed it in the bag and brought it home for the polisher.  This is what it looks like now,  after the final polish, a rather graceful stone of brown, orange and a streak of blue-gray. In other words, quite unlike anything I have ever seen come out of First Creek.

Maybe it's a glacial remnant from somewhere else, or part of a filled cavity somewhere in the local basalt. Either way, it's my "rock of the day."

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, we just bought the old rock shop at First Creek. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete