Thursday, May 31, 2012

Discovery Bay, Olympic Peninsula


I've been in the office a lot lately, or visiting with family - always wonderful - so I haven't been out much looking for rocks. But on a drive back from Port Angeles yesterday I spent a happy hour along the western shore of Discovery Bay. This is one of my favorite shorelines for rocks, since there are rarely any waves, and the diversity is as great as anywhere in the northwest. The site is near the Gardiner boat ramp - a little tricky to find but worth looking for on a falling tide, when the cobble beach is still wet. This makes identifying interesting specimens that much easier. (Best of all is a rainy day, when EVERYTHING is wet and shiny...)

This may not look like much, but as a geologist, I find it tells a pretty interesting story, with bits of green stone in a speckled matrix. I'll know more when I polish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment