Monday, March 12, 2012

Return of the River

Variolites,  Elwha River
One of the biggest things happening in the Northwest this year has been the beginning of two dam removals from the Elwha River on the Olympic Peninsula. It is a huge project, the largest dam removal effort ever undertaken in the US and promises to restore both a spectacular river and the salmon runs that used to inhabit it.  For more information on the project, see here.

I had a chance to visit a part of the river yesterday that has re-emerged from the lake that once covered it;  gravel bars have appeared that I have never seen before!  And those gravels were covered with a rock that I have been tracking for years - Variolites (see previous posts here). I have been convinced that one major source for this rock is in the Elwha Valley. Now after finding dozens within a small area, I am convinced of it. I guess the trick will be to travel upstream until I can't find them anymore - and then look in between!

These things have no gem value, or any other reason for being sought, other than personal obsession. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I am enjoying reading your blog, which I just stumbled upon today. A variolite washed up a couple of weeks ago on Ocean Beach, San Francisco, Ca. I sensed that the stone was unusual and brought it home with me - and then discovered its name in your blog. Not sure how it ended up in SF, however. Will have to see if more of the type appear in future. Please keep blogging. I'm whipping through your posts!

    Thanks,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie - Nice to hear from you. I don't post much to this site anymore, but it's always good when someone writes in. Yes, that SF variolite is puzzling - certainly not impossible! I'm heading out to a new variolite site near here tomorrow - if it ever stops raining!

    ReplyDelete