Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Things of Beauty



So far, no one has asked me why I collect this stuff (and why our garage is filled with rocks waiting to be polished - or disposed of). Hard to explain really, but let me put it this way. I find the abstract patterns and designs in nature to be stunningly beautiful. It has been argued that nature is ultimately the inspiration for all art; certainly I find the variety of color and design I find on the beach to be as lovely as anything I have ever seen.

This rock, for example, with its subtle shades of color and striking web of black lines, is not so far from classic abstract expressionist art. In fact, I might take up a brush and try painting something like this.  Until then, however, I am content - delighted, in fact - that such beauty exists in so prosaic a setting as the cobble beach below my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment