Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rock Revealed

Unknown rock, polished
A month ago, I posted about a trip to the outer coast of the Olympic Peninsula, and about the variety of rocks I found among the beach cobbles - most specifically this one.  I noticed it as distinct from all the rest even in its rough, straight-off-the-beach state. (see July 28 photo) .

Now, a month later, it has gone through the polishing cycle, and its really unusual patterning has been revealed.  It is hard, and has taken a good polish, indicating something silica-rich (rather than a softer, sedimentary rock) but beyond that, I haven't got a clue. A strange jasper formed at the boundary of two rock types?  The multi-colored zigzag pattern which is its most striking feature, makes it look like it was liquid at one point.

Anyhow, whatever its name - it's a beauty. But like most of the others I find, from an unknown source.

app. 3" long

No comments:

Post a Comment