Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Visit to Mecca

Succor Creek Jasper

About two months ago I drove over to the Idaho/Oregon border to search for Owyhee Picture Jasper, one of the most spectacular in the world. It was my first time in the area, and I concentrated on the Succor Creek region SW of Homedale Idaho. Many people come here for Thundereggs, but I really wanted to find jasper - and I did.  However, because of heavy snows, the creek was still running too high to get across to some of the better jasper areas, so I concentrated my efforts in a few drainages coming out of the hills to the west.

My technique was simple, just wade up the still flowing stream, and look for things that looked interesting in the cold, clear water. I quickly trained my eye to spot the tan color of the jasper and filled my collecting bag in no time. And a second time, and a third time. Before I knew it, 9 hours had gone by and I had a car full of rock and an aching back!

Much of this jasper does not look like much in rough form; the colors and patterns are too subtle. But whenever you hit a rock and it breaks in conchoidal fractures (e.g. smooth glass-like flakes)  you know you're into jasper.

None of this was slabbing material : it was destined for my non-stop tumblers, which always have a series of rocks being polished. The small sample above, about 1.5" high, is one of my favorites. Not spectacular, but handsome enough that I enjoy having it, and many others like it.  Can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment